- 1 Facebook friend request scam conversations
- 2 Conversation #1
- 3 Conversation #2
- 4 Conversation #3
- 5 Conversation #4
- 6 What to ask
- 7 Things to never do: and to do
- 8 How to block someone on facebook
- 9 How to unfriend a person on Facebook.
- 10 How to block on messenger
Within the past two weeks, I have had seven people try to facebook friend request scam me. I am used to this type of scam, but usually, I get two requests a month.
I have a business page, and when people request to be my friend on my personal page, I need to accept them because they may be potential business colleagues. So I do and then go about deciding if they are legit or not.
I have a dry sense of humor, so I like to play with these people a bit before I block them. I do not recommend this because scammers are master manipulators. Please be careful.
Keep in mind that we may receive commissions when you click our links and make purchases. However, this does not impact our reviews and comparisons. We try our best to keep things fair and balanced, in order to help you make the best choice for you.
Facebook friend request scam conversations
I am going to recount some conversations I have had and then give you a list of ways to determine if they are real or fake people. I am also going to show you how to block them so they cannot see you, your page and also message you.
All of these conversations take place within a few minutes of accepting their friend request. I will not use names because the names they use are real but not their own names.
Other: How are you?
Other: are you there?
Other: are you there?
Me: I’m good
Other: I am a famous wrestler with WWW. The girls love me, and I am having a party here tonight. I am inviting everyone who is important.
Other: I am leaving for Denmark tomorrow and will not be back for nine months
Other: Where do you live
Other: It would be good for you to know me. I am famous.
Other: are you listening to me:
Other: I will have to go to bed soon. I am wrestling tomorrow.
Other: I am bored.
I then blocked this one from Facebook and messenger. This conversation was one of the strangest ones I have had
Now this person began a conversation on my facebook page, so I moved it over to Facebook Messenger. She repeated the same words that she put on my page when she got to messenger.
Other: How. R. U. Do u. Have. A lot. Of. Friends. I don’t Do. To. My husband passed. Away. In. 2017
Other: Hi. Good. Morning. How. R u
Other: Where. R. U from
Me: Ok. So why is it hard to make friends?
Other: Every. Time. I. Meet. Friends. They. Say. They. Will. Call. Me. And. They. Domt
Me: You sound a bit desperate. Could that be part of the problem?
Other: No I’m Not. Deserate
End of conversation, unfriended and blocked from messenger.
Other: You have a beautiful smile. How are you today?
Other: where do you live?
Me: Well I live in the bayou, and I have 8 kids. My husband beats me, and my kids don’t have any shoes.
Other: Where do you work?
Me: I just told you I have 8 kids and can’t work because my husband beats me. Do you have any money for me to put shoes on my kids?
Other: Where do you live?
This conversation was clearly automated. Probably the Other person did not speak English.
Other: What’s up?
Me: I am not sure how we became friends
Other: I added you as a suggested friend from facebook
Me: oh OK
Other: Yah. So how are you?
Me: Good. Pretty busy right now.
Other: doing what?
Other: How is your love life?
Now I am not sure what was up with this conversation but I am confident it would have eventually headed down the will you give me money road. This one was typical but more direct than usual.
Facebook friend request scam has been around a long time, but the way people are approaching it is different now. They come at us from all angels.
What to ask
It is important to determine if they are your friends or a new potential friend. Here are some questions that may help you determine whether to block them. You want to keep it short and to the point.
- Do you still work at_____? If it is someone, you know it is good to ask if they work at a place that they have never worked. If it is not the person, you know they will give themselves away or say something off the wall.
- What is your story? I have found they usually get defensive but will come right back with an inappropriate question. Like: where do you live?
- When they ask a question give an unbelievable answer. Like: If they ask, Where do you live? Your response could be, I live in a cave at the north pole and sunbath every day. They will probably come back with another question. Like: where do you live?
Things to never do: and to do
On a facebook friend request scam Never.
- Never give personal or geographical information.
- Never tell them what you are doing right now. They are fishing for information to determine what your time zone is.
- Never act like you are flattered when they compliment you. They don’t care about your appearance. They are after your money. Or to get you to launder money for them.
But always Do
- Do give short answers. Like: OK, sure, of course, you think.
- Do block them as soon as you find out they are fake scammers
But most of all don’t friend people you don’t know if you do not have a business or a need to reach more people. My business Facebook page is for this website but also my inspiration website. I want to help people, but I need to determine if they are real or not.
As soon as you determine someone is not real or not safe please block them immediately.
How to block someone on facebook
- Click on the down arrow at the top of your page.
- Click on the settings
- Look to the left of your page and click on the block
- In the center of the page put the person’s name in the box and click block.
How to unfriend a person on Facebook.
- On your Facebook page go to your friends.
- Search for the person’s name in the search box.
- When you find the person, you are looking for click on their profile picture.
- When you get to their page just below their profile photo, click on friends
- Then click unfriend.
How to block on messenger
These are the instructions from the Facebook help page and only work on I Phone or I Pad
- Open a conversation with the person you want to block.
- Tap their name at the top of the conversation.
- Scroll down and tap Block.
- Tap next to Block Messages.
Don’t make the mistake in thinking that Facebook is protecting you. They have no way to determine the safety of others on a social media platform. And Facebook friend request scam is everywhere you go.
I am an affiliate marketer. I am privileged to belong to a platform named Wealthy Affiliate where I host my websites. If you would like more information, please click on the green Wealthy Affiliate link. But above all be careful. You don’t know what people are like or how dangerous they may be.
There are so many scams today. Here is information on another one you may want to know about.
You may have questions. I am here to assist you, and I love questions and comments. Please leave them below in the comment section. I will be back with you quickly to help.